NaNoWriMo 2010 Day 30: Last Minute Tricks
Today is the last day of NaNoWriMo! Have you reached 50,000 words yet?
If you have, then CONGRATS! If not - no worries, I am not there yet either! But don't worry, we can still make it!
Here are a few tips to reach 50k, if you're stuck near the end:
1) Go back through and find all the places you skipped scenes and write them now.
2) Go back to any scenes you left slim and add details to flesh things out a bit.
3) Add flashbacks.
4) Write an alternate ending.
5) Write a prologue or epilogue. What happened before the book started, and where is your character ten years later?
6) Write a scene from a different character's point of view (for example, the love interest).
7) Write a scene from the villain's point of view.
8) Add chapter titles.
9) Describe an average day in the life of your character.
10) If you still have some story you won't get to in the 50k, write a sentence or a brief description for each scene you still need to do.
Will you use all of this in your next draft? No, probably not. But doing all this will add to your word count, plus it is fun and will help you discover new things about your characters and books, and maybe give you a few new ideas.